Sunday, April 1, 2007

Learning is bad, m'kay

Yesterday the fiendish friends of mine managed to spoil my plans for weekend study yet again. Not that I blame them, it's nice to get out to spend some quality time with one's friends (and I was to study phrasal verbs for the test:). So we went, first to shop around, then to sit in a cafe, then to walk around aimlessly, then to see "300" (nice!), then to have a drink.

In the bar, we met with our friend and a couple of her girlfriends. We were sitting, chit-chatting, when my friend started to impersonate me with the few Japanese words I taught him. Some of the girls got somewhat interested. Here's the conversation:

- So, do you guys study Japanese?
- He does - said my friend pointing at me
- Meh - said I with false modesty
- Where? - asked the attractive maiden
- Uhm, nowhere. I do it on my own as far as status quo (heh, still can't believe I really used the word) is concerned...

I recognized the look on her face. I'd seen it often. Starting from my parents, ending in complete strangers. Soon, THE question would follow.

- Whyever do do such a thing?

Just knew it! Every time's the same. So, every time, my answer's the same.

- Well, I really enjoy it.

If words had piercing power, I would have seen the wall behind her through the hole in her head. First, it's bewilderment. Then, it's disbelief. Then, it's the usual, "I'm witty and sarcastic" statement.

- What a great way of spending time (use got-woken-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night intonation). I, like, just go out and have my fun with friends.

Guess what, so do I! But instead of going out with those alcoholics (well, let's name things by their names) every evening, I'd rather do something I can enjoy without wishing for quick and merciful death the morning after! And yes, I do enjoy it. Instead of sleeping during the day, instead of watching "Prison Break" (what a fad that is), instead of playing mmorpgs. So I study Japanese in breaks between studying English, big deal. I could do that or hang around "Poznań Plaza" for God knows what reasons, like some of my friends do (I swear, they just sit there doing nothing, they freak me out). Truly, is there a reason to condemn my way of spending mine and glorify the one one of my acquaintances has (based on his gg status descriptions as well as personal interview):
- Monday -> School, gym (not for health, rather for those round, hard as rock, attractive, wide muscles), watch movies, go to sleep
- Tuesday -> School, gym, pick up easy girls on web chats, check his "fotka" account
- Wednesday -> See Monday, cross out "school"
- Thursday -> See Tuesday, cross out "school"
- Friday -> See See Monday, cross out "school", substitute watching movies for going to a mindless techno party (I really don't mind techno, just not the villageish (for the lack of better term) one that is played during Poznań's 'techno' parties)
- Saturday -> See Friday
- Sunday -> See Friday

And I'm the bad one, the nerd. Too bad the person above has no charisma whatsoever, making up for it with his enormous bicepses (he was a really great guy in high school, but dormitory life and gym turned him into a mindless golem, enslaved to the idea of random intercourses and perfect body that will become a blob after a week pause in going to the gym (for reasons I have to keep secret)).

Some understand me. They even say things like:

- You think right, you'll be able to find a lucrative job in the future.

Cool, but I don't think about salaries when going through the damned transitive-intransitive verb pairs. Neither do I daydream about swimming in money when wondering how many strokes the kanji for "to be" has (is it 3? No, that's for "to wear". One? Uhm, isn't that for "a person"? - truly, if you ever find my dead from self-inflicted, multiple stab wounds body, blame Japanese kanji).

So there you have it. I meet with my friends. I play video games. I read books. I can trash talk with the best of them. I dress up and run around in a dress impersonating a Scot, for Pete's sake. I have good grades and study a foreign language for no reason but my love for it - I'm a nerd. Thanks.

PS. Well, I did get her phone number, though:P

2 comments:

Piotr said...

Haha. That worked in the end, didn't it.

But anyway, I know what it means to be the bad studying one. When I lived in the dorm, I think I was the only one who would study German of my own free will after exams while the whole of the dorm were getting smashed with that cheap awful spirits they had.

And now it's the same with me translating for fun and for practice.

Judging from experience, the best thing is to stick to your guns. In the end, you'll have something permanent to boast off with when your muscles go weak:)

Piotr said...

Haha, that did the trick in the end, didn't it?

I remember myself living in the dorm. I think I was the only one who would study German of my own fee will after the exams while the rest of the dorm was getting smashed with that cheap spirits they had.

Now I get similar "feedback".

Stick to your guns! When you muscles go weak, you'll have sth permanent to boast off with:)